If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished. (Jane Seabrook)

Thoughts on the Latest Issue of Vogue Knitting and Other Knitting News

Hmmm... I've had my Fall 2007 issue of Vogue Knitting for two weeks and I'm still a little nonplussed by their selection of patterns for the season. I realize that this is the 25th anniversary issue and the main focus is depicting the evolution of style and design, not just of knitting but of the magazine itself, but, with the exception of two or three patterns, I'm not really inspired by anything featured in this issue. The patterns that did catch my eye are the Michael Kors cape featured on Page 161, the James Coviello cardi featured on Page 159, and the Mari Lynn Patrick hoodie featured on Page 155. Each of these patterns is unique in its own way and would make a great addition to my wardrobe, but they're not high on my list of projects at the moment. I guess I'm just surprised by the overall blahness of the Fall patterns after such a great Summer 2007 issue -- I'm still copying patterns out of that issue! Still, I guess it's good that I'm not really motivated to make anything from the latest issue, at least not right away. I already have too much going on as it is.

Speaking of which, I volunteered, and was subsequently chosen, to test Stefanie Japel's latest pattern "Petal". This sweater is worked from the top down and has a two-button closure at the neckline. I'm actually pretty excited about this opportunity because I've never tested a pattern before and it's kind of cool to be able to give the designer feedback about a pattern before it gets released to the masses. Plus, it forces me to use some of the yarn in my stash! I wanted to knit the sweater in this inky-blue Elann Peruvian Highland Wool (I think the color is actually called Admiral Blue), but didn't have enough yardage; I ended up using an Antique Blue in the same line. It's not ideal, but at least I'll use up a couple of balls of yarn that have been sitting around for two years.

In other knitting news, Sleeve #2 is almost complete. The increases are done, but I still have a few more rows to work before it's long enough. My goal is to attach the sleeves to the body before the end of the weekend, but we'll see if that actually happens.

The first Pea Pod is moving along nicely. I've worked two 10-row sections of the Leaf Lace pattern and things are really starting to take shape. I've been throwing around some ideas for buttons and am currently leaning towards making bobbles. It seems a practical way to eliminate a choking hazard.

0 comments: