If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished. (Jane Seabrook)

Let's Give This Another Try

Amazing! The first post in almost two years. Let me preface this by saying that I'm not sure how long this renewed fascination will last. Lately I've felt that I have more to express than I'm actually saying, so this is my way of just getting it out there. Chances are I'll be the only one reading my ramblings, but others may be interested to get a glimpse into my bizarre little world.

So...what's the Serial Hobbyist up to now, you ask? Still knitting away furiously. Actually, I find it's the only way I can stay sane. There's a saying that has made it's way on to countless shirts, mugs, stickers, etc. that I can definitely identify with: I knit so I don't kill people. Unfortunately this desperation to preserve what's left of my sanity hasn't led to an overwhelming pile of finished objects. I find myself to be an extremely slow knitter, which often leads to me getting bored with a project long before it's ever finished. I think that probably why I've been knitting more socks recently. Second Sock Syndrome aside, I can typically finish a pair of socks within a few weeks unless something goes horribly wrong. I never thought I would become a sock knitter -- I always intended to go the traditional route and stick to sweaters -- but socks and I seem suited for one another. I think it's largely because there's a lot going on to capture my interest and by the time I get bored with one part of the sock it's time to move on to the next part. Alas, I have no time to knit socks right now. My knitting time has actually been taken up by the Clapotis I'm knitting for a co-worker's daughter's wedding.

Now I have nothing against this pattern. I made myself a Clapotis a year or two ago out of Brooks Farm Four Play and absolutely love it. It's just hard going through that third section and when you're a slow knitter like I am and knitting with the equivalent of dental floss. It seems like the straight rows will never end. I even have to work an extra four repeats on the length to compensate for the extra four repeats I added to the width. Even then I'm not sure it will be a long enough stole (yes, stole not scarf) for the bride. I'm really counting on the blocking to work miracles here because I'm only a one person sweat shop and the wedding is on November 27. At last check the width of the unblocked piece is roughly 20 inches and the length is about 40 inches. I'm so close but it's going to take an incredible amount of effort to make it through the rest of this section.

0 comments: