If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished. (Jane Seabrook)

Thinking Is Dangerous

As I continue to slog through the last few repeats of Section 3 of the Wedding Clapotis I find I'm thinking about potential projects for the coming months. I've gotten it into my head that I want to tackle knitting a lace shawl for my grandmother. No doubt I'm setting myself up for all kinds of torture in the long run, but as I turn the idea over and over in my mind it occurs to me that this is probably one of the few things I can knit for her. Sizing is definitely a concern as my grandmother and I have very different builds, and since I don't get to see her as often as I would like -- she lives in Southwest England -- I'm not really in a position to get her measurements. I do have one particular shawl pattern in mind: the Mystic Light Shawl by Anna Dalvi (aka knitandknag on Ravelry). Carin of Lime and Violet and Round the Twist fame (aka alcariel on Ravelry) worked on this shawl a few years ago in the Jaggerspun Zephyr and seemed to like how it turned out. The added bonus is that the Jaggerspun Zephyr comes in tons of colors and it's super cheap. So...it looks like there is more lace knitting in my future. Oh joy.

Another pattern I stumbled across while skulking around Ravelry is the French Press Felted Slippers by Melynda Bernardi (aka frenchpressknits on Ravelry). I absolutely love the photos I've seen of the finished slippers. I'm all about form and function and this pattern is put together in such a way that it satisfies both criteria. Yay! These are probably going to get bumped up to the top of the queue because it's getting cold and I need something to keep my feet warm as I roam around the house. Besides, it looks like a quick project. I'm contemplating stash diving on this one, but I may also end up buying some more yarn for this project as I'm already going to be placing an order for the Jaggerspun Zephyr. Yes, thinking is definitely dangerous.

Back to reality and the last repeat of the Wedding Clapotis!

0 comments: