If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished. (Jane Seabrook)

Some Assembly Required

It suddenly occurs to me that knitting isn't that much different from assembling a piece of Ikea furniture: both activities require that pieces be joined together according to a specific set of instructions in hopes of producing the desired finished object.  Just how easy or torturous this process ends up being largely depends on your level of competency.  Of course, a general lack of confidence has never really stopped any of us from getting in over our heads.  At least it's easier to throw a knitting project in the back of a closet than it is to try to hide the parts of a disassembled piece of furniture.


So the knitting is done on Boo the Bat.  I'm pleased with how the body turned out, although the feet were pretty tricky -- picking up stitches is not easy when working on such a small scale.  Overall this pattern is well written and easy to follow.  The only modification I made was to the wings: I decided to slip a stitch at the beginning of each row as per the suggestion of KnittersInaTwist.  This modification seemed to give the wings some nice definition around the edges.  So, Boo's just sitting here waiting patiently for me to assemble the rest of his body parts.  I still need to block the wings and the ears, though, so it will be a couple of days before Boo can be officially finished.  Hopefully he can withstand the snide comments from my husband about his resemblance to a certain South Park character.

The second Little Pumpkins sock is now on the needles.  I worked my way through the cuff this weekend and I'm getting ready to start the first repeat of the leg.  I'm thinking that it should (hopefully) go pretty quickly now that I know what I'm doing.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't get side-tracked.

The Pink Peapod has crawled its way out of the UFO pile.  The original intended recipient has long since grown out of both the sweater and the hat so I'm re-designating the set as a gift for my friend Becca's six-month old daughter, Nora.  The last sleeve has been seamed and set into the body of the sweater.  All that's really left to do with this project is to sew on the buttons and give it press before putting it in the mail.  I'm kind of bummed that I won't get to see her reaction to the set -- I hear she's a big fan of pink -- so I'm counting on her parents to take some great pictures (I'm keeping my fingers crossed that she'll get some use out of it over the next few months).  Scratch one project off the list =)

Stay tuned for news on my projects for Ravelympics 2010.

0 comments: