If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished. (Jane Seabrook)

In Training

With two feet of snow on the ground here in Central Maryland and the Vancouver 2010 Olympics just days away I figure it's the perfect time for to get some training in for Ravelympics 2010. I decided to err on the side of caution and set goals that should be fairly manageable as we all know that I have a tendency to get in over my head. Hey, I figure I can always add to the list in the event that I do by some minor miracle manage to get through the project goals I've set for myself. Here are the projects that are on the list so far:

  1. Fourth Grade Hat (Abby Franquemont)
    Event Category: Hat Half-Pipe
    This entrelac hat was featured in the Winter 2008 issue of Twist Collective.  I've always been fascinated by entrelac, but have never actually done any.  Tackling this technique will undoubtedly be my biggest challenge of Ravelympics 2010.  This pattern can apparently be modified to work with "any yarn at any gauge", but a lot of people have said that this finished product does tend to be pretty slouchy so I'll need to take that in account when I'm planning out my gauge swatch.  I will be using a skein of Louet Gems 100% Merino Wool (Sport Weight) in black, which I have to wind into a ball today, and two skeins of Noro Silk Garden in colorway #308 (this colorway can best be described as deep jewel-tone shades of purple, pink, green, teal, and topaz).  It should be a really nice hat if everything works out according to plan.
  2. Two pairs of French Press Felted Slippers (Melynda Bernardi)
    Event Categories: Felting, Sock Hockey
    I have worn my own slippers every day since I finished them in late December.  This is such a fabulous pattern that I feel I really should share it with others in my life.  I plan on making two pairs: one pair for my mother and the other pair for my husband's step-mother , Anne.  Both pairs will be knit in Patons Classic Wool.  My mother's pair will be knit in the Wisteria colorway, a pretty light purple shade.  Anne's pair will be knit in the Paprika colorway, a deep burnt orange shade.  My challenge with this project will be to keep the momentum going from one pair of slippers to the next as I my track record knitting back to back projects in the same pattern  is not very good.  
Although I signed up to participate on two Ravelympics teams I think I will most likely throw all of my support to Team Manic Purl (sorry Team Twilight).  I listen to Chrissy's podcast on a regular basis and I'm a frequent contributor to the message boards so I feel pretty comfortable with the whole vibe.  Plus, Chrissy's a Vancouver native so the team has the luxury of on-site Olympic coverage. For an Olympics junkie like me that is the equivalent of crack.  I can't wait for the games to begin on Fri., February 12!  Once I can get a handle on some of this snow removal -- we've only managed to clear about half of our driveway so far! -- I'll be winding some yarn and swatching for the hat. 

    0 comments: