If at first you do succeed, try not to look too astonished. (Jane Seabrook)

Doing My Civic Duty

Well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. After three weeks of being on call for jury duty for the District Court of Maryland, I get selected as a jury member for a trial. I can't say this was a surprise, though. I had an awful feeling that I was going to get picked about halfway through the three-hour voir dire process. Of course, the fact that I practically leaped out of my seat when faced with the question of whether I would be able to participate in a trial that was scheduled to last four plus days probably didn't help matters. I cited work-related reasons, and I honestly felt that I had just cause for dismissal. The judge wasn't having any of it, though, and I ended up back in the pool. Chances are that if I had kept my mouth shut I would have been "safe". Now I have the dubious honor of serving as Juror #7 on an eight person jury.

On a positive note, I was able to complete my swatch for the Ribby Cardi (I'm not entirely sure how I managed to get my needles into the courthouse without detection, let alone comment!).

Looks like I'll definitely have to drop a needle size -- instead of the recommended US 6 and 7 needles, I'll be using US 5 & 6. I'm still a little worried about the ribbing aspect of this project. I've always used the Knitting-On method to cast-on my stitches, but it doesn't seem to work as well when setting up for a project like the Ribby. I've managed to find a cast-on method on Knittinghelp.com that seems more suited for ribbing. The method is called Cable Cast-on. Fortunately, it wasn't hard to master and I'm definitely encouraged by what I've seen so far. The first row immediately after the cast-on row is always the most difficult for me -- things tend to get a little loose -- but this doesn't seem to be the case with the Cable Cast-on. Who knows: I might actually start enjoying ribbing after this experience!

0 comments: